Mission and Vision
The Honors College Mission
The UIC Honors College brings together a diverse group of exceptional undergraduate students, faculty, and staff, and provides an environment for advanced academic growth, creative engagement, and a foundation for lifelong learning in the world class city of Chicago.
The Honors College Vision
By providing an innovative curriculum and promoting engagement with faculty and the resources of UIC, the Honors College will stand out among its peers by preparing global leaders able to shape a just society in the 21st century.
All members of the Honors College also belong to a degree-granting college such as Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) or Engineering. Those students participating in web-based programs, however, are not eligible for participation at present. Members of the Honors College are expected to take honors courses and/or participate in an array of experiences beyond the classroom each semester.
Essential benefits of being a member of the Honors College include:
- Specialized topics based courses, lectures, and seminars taught by premiere faculty
- Increased opportunities to participate in undergraduate research
- All students are assigned a Faculty Fellow to provide deeper mentorship in their field of study
- Chance to participate in student organizations led by Honors students (see HCAB, SFP, Red Shoes, CCP?)
- Consideration for and the opportunity to apply to additional scholarships and grant funding
- No additional time to graduate; all your honors courses count toward your degree!
- In addition to your degree-granting college advisor, you will also be assigned to one of the advisors from our well-armed advising team which boasts a low student to advisor ratio
- Use of Honors College facilities in Burnham Hall including the Computer Lab, Quiet Study Room, & Student Lounge
- The Capstone: A 2 semester-long research-based project crowning your final terms at UIC, and in the Honors College, in the area of your choice under the guidance of your Faculty Fellow
Honors courses are small in size and taught by top professors on campus, providing students the opportunity to interact with UIC’s finest scholars. Hundreds of UIC faculty members volunteer each year to work with Honors students because they enjoy working with motivated and talented students. Our students are recognized on campus as leaders, innovators and contributors to the UIC community and the city at large. Please download our fact flyer for more information on demographics, enrollment statistics, and more.